French Horn Fingering Guide
French Horn Technique Guide
- Firm corners; pucker lips slightly; center of the chin is relaxed.
- Drawn chin muscles downward.
- Mouthpiece is placed in the horizontal center of the embouchure.
- Mouthpiece is placed ⅔ upper and ⅓ lower lip within the rim of the mouthpiece.
- Teeth are slightly apart.
- LH- Pinky is resting in the hook’ Left Thumb in the ring or on the B thumb valve.
- LH - Hand is curved in a “C”; 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fingers curved slightly and contacting the three valves.
- RH - Palm is cupped with the thumb tightly closed, placed in the bell with the thumb and fingers touching the side of the bell on the 3 o’clock position of the bell.
- Both hands - Bell rests on the right leg in a position that brings the mouthpiece comfortably in the embouchure.
- Both hands - Body does not block the bell and head in help naturally.
Range Building Exercises
Horn warm up
Breathing by Arnold Jacobs